SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - Family boarding-house - Accommodation in the country estate

SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - Family boarding-house - Accommodation in the country estate in western Bohemia

How it was …

Country estate, Salajna (Konradsgrün) - Photo from 1940 - source: www.portafontium.cz Country estate, Salajna (Konradsgrün) - Photo from 1940 - source: www.portafontium.cz SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - History - Photo from 1963 SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - History - Photo from 1963 SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - History - Photo from 1975

The village of Salajna

(originally Konradsgrün) was founded in the time of the top late Middle Age colonization of the Cheb Region about 1290. In historical sources, Konrad Paulsdorfer von Tennerberg is named as its owner. In 1305, he let the local bailiff´s of the German knights in Cheb have it, and in 1308 he donated the tithes from ten estates to the cloister of Waldsassen. Later, the Junckher family from Cheb was in charge of collecting the tithes in Konradsgrün.

Konradsgrün was a serf community of the town of Cheb till 1848 and the local people had to perform their corvée with a yoke of draught and a cart for 57 days a year in favour of Cheb till 1871. As early as in 1712, iron-ore began to be mined in the woods between Konrandsgrün, Losau (Katany) and Palitz (Palič). In early 20th century one could still see traces of mining in the surrounding woods.

Salajna Country Estate

Nr.12 dates back to 1802 (see the photo of the beam). The estate was a typical farm used for breeding cattle. All the original owners were of German nationality. The last ones, of whom there are concrete records left, were displaced after World War II. They were the Waidhas family.

After 1945 the estate started to decay continuously. Following the new owners, who came to dwell in it as those who completed the settlement of the Bohemian borderlands and left it very soon during the 1950s, the Socialist United Cooperative Farm took it over into its care. Almost complete destruction of the estate occurred in 1980s and 1990s when two wooden objects – shed and barn – were destroyed. Two wall buildings remained left and dilapidated. The estate, thanks to its extraordinary architectural value, was classified among cultural sights in 1958 and appeared in early 21st century due to its almost hopeless unfitness for use on the list of The most endangered immovable sights in Karlovy Vary Region.

SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - History - Photo from 2004 SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - The present SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - History - Photo from 2004 SALAJNA COUNTRY ESTATE - The present

… and how it is

The estate

We bought the estate completely in disrepair by auction in 2004 for a low price corresponding unfortunately with its desperate state. In the first years after purchasing this real estate, we fought especially for preserving its substance as a sight (half-timbered fronton, covered way etc.). At this time, we received a remarkable financial support from Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic and from Karlovy Vary Region.

After several years of reconstruction the object was disqualified from the list of The most endangered immovable sights and we decided to rebuild the estate into a boarding-house. Thus, since 2008 we have been working hard on this project under financial contribution of the European Union.

The estate has been registered in the Central list of cultural sights of the Czech Republic under registration number 15551/4-85 since 1958.

As a boarding-house the estate started running in April 2014.

Community of Salajna

At present, the community of Salajna means a uniquely preserved complex of Cheb-style folk architecture. In the village, a unique group of closed farmsteads (the so called Franconian farmsteads) with half-timbered structures is still well-kept, nine of which are declared cultural sights. Individual farmsteads were linked with wide and long stripes of pastures that enabled breeding big herds of cattle, and this classification has been kept up to now. The whole so called “valley village” with the total length of 2 km stretches through a picturesque valley of the Šitboř Brook. In 2004, the community was declared a country preservation zone.

Webdesign © graficool